Sunday, August 11, 2013

Looking for Alaska - John Green (Favorite Book)



Looking For Alaska


A truly great book allows one to leave the world they are currently in and magically envision themselves in the world the author has created. John Green's famed work of literature did just that. With every page, I felt as if I were living with Pudge, the Colonel, and Alaska in the dorms of Culver Creek High. Miles "Pudge" Halter leaves his boring life to attend Culver Creek Preparatory High School in Alabama for his junior year. There Miles meets his roommate, Chip "The Colonel" Martin. During the tour of the school is where Chip introduces Pudge to Alaska Young, a beautiful, emotionally unstable girl. It has now been quite a while since they were first introduced, and it is important to say that Alaska has a positive aura that all their friends benefit from. She is fun-loving, ambitious, an avid reader, often intoxicated, enigmatic, self-destructive, and loved by many. Pudge was heavily in love with Alaska. One dark, rainy night, the Colonel, Alaska, and Pudge are sharing drinks. The highly intoxicated, sleepy Alaska, in the middle of the night, receives a phone call from her boyfriend. Bawling, she jumps into her car and drives off. The next morning, the school gets a call notifying them that their student, Alaska Young, was found dead on the highway highly intoxicated. This novel teaches you about life, love, and the harsh realities of life. A definite must-read.

10 comments:

  1. Nareg, your blog post is wonderful. Your diction and choice of vocabulary are quite pleasing. The explanations are very descriptive, adding a nice touch to your post. The only thing I would suggest, is to include who you would recommend this book to. Also, mention your reason(s) for recommendation. Perhaps you can focus on the analysis and moral of the story, rather than just summarizing it. Other than that, it is a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the title of this book, I thought this was going to be another expedition novel. However, I discovered that it was a love story geared to teach the harsh and cruel lessons of life. Sometimes, it takes a book like this to teach the facts of life to teens. Great Job Nareg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My interest in John Green's books was reveling, but through your blog, my desire to start reading has exploded. Looking For Alaska seems like a deep, tragic, yet beautiful novel which I am ready to dig my soul into. However, I would have enjoyed more of an analysis on how the book changed your perspective of life. Otherwise, it was a marvelous blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll be sure to take that into consideration for next time.

      Delete
  4. When I was reading how you described the book, and how much detail you went into when talking about the story, my interest in it was constantly rising. You displayed an overview of the book that made me wanting more, yet still making me feel like I was experiencing the actual book. I would have liked for you to talk more about how the book affected you and who else you believe would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your entry made me want to get my hands on this book right away. Your description was a bit too detailed but it gave me an inside look of what the book is about. The way you introduced the characters made me feel like I was reading the description in a book sleeve. Expressing how you were that taken by the book that it made you feel like you were experiencing it makes me want to read it. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was always hesitant in reading John Green's novels because of how infamous it is for vivid, heavy details. After reading your post, however, all doubt was lost and I am eager to get the book in my hands. You did an incredible job giving readers an idea of what the book has to offer. I wish you would have talked some more about your view of the book, but otherwise your post was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not yet read a novel written by John Green. Reading this post made me realize that I am definitely missing out. Since I am a fan of novels full of drama and darkness, I found your post extremely interesting and persuasive. You knew how to put the right words together in order to keep your reader interested. You did an incredible job!

    ReplyDelete